Thursday, September 08, 2011

No Back to School for you!

It has been weird this year without sending children off to school. Jaron graduated last spring so my sons are both on their own for schooling from now on. I watched the grade school children load the buses for school the other morning only to realize how long we have been in Arizona. Jaron was a 5th grader when we came here. We went through all the bus routes, the car pools, homework, new testing, new immunizations, and finally high school activities here in Mesa. It doesn't hit you until you realize that you aren't going to be doing it any more. Robyn sent around the following today which made me laugh out loud:::::

Twas the night before school when all through the town,
The parents were cheering - a riotous sound.
By nine, kids were all washed and tucked into beds,
where memories of homework filled them with dread.
New pencils, new folders, new notebooks, too.
New teachers, new friends - their anxiety grew.
The parents just giggled when they learned of the fright,
and shouted to all "GO TO BED!!! Its a school night!

I loved that because it was so true for us. We loved sending the kids off to school but this year I realized that I am truly blessed. Because although I loved having young children, I am so glad to get rid of school shopping, homework, parent teacher, AIMs testing, school parking regulations, drop off and pick up routes, attendance policy, graduation requirements, etc...... I could go on and on.

No comments: