Thursday, October 18, 2007

Technology

I am a Project Manager for a Health Care Insurance company here in the desert state. Project Manager is a good job for me because I get to do the the three things I like most: Organize things, play with software, and work with people. I was telling Jace yesterday that I didn't find my job though, it found me. I didn't know I was going to do this when I was young. It just worked out this way.

I was thinking about this yesterday because I work in a call center environment. (OK - The funny thing is I did want to be a telephone operator when I was like 5 - I thought all the buttons looked fun to push.) I just heard a one hour call with a few of our Managers about how the agents can't talk on the phone and type in a lead at the same time..... I was like... WHAT? I have been doing the same thing since high school. I can't believe someone can't talk and type at the same time. They can talk and write on a piece of paper at the same time! Our Agents (Licensed Agents) are writing scheduling information on paper then typing it in later. Sometimes a few days later.... What gives? Are they nuts? These are adults in the 20's through 50's.

Then I started to consider. What I started on computers I was in my early 20's. I was using a dual disk dos program. You had to put a different diskette to spell check. (Now that is funny to think about.) I was also trained on a dictaphone.... I was on the phone as a certified software technician when Windows (GUI - Graphic User Interface) came out. We all knew that it would be the standard, it was so much easier for the average user. Now I can't imagine living without a computer. Even the kids homework reminds me of typing on a manual typewriter to do term papers in college. (I always seemed to get to the last three lines and make a typo - I had to start the page all over.) Is this what it felt like for someone that lived through the invention of electricity, the telephone, the Automobile.

No comments: