Monday, June 04, 2007

Who says there are no flowers in the desert?


Well, I made such a stink about the freeze this winter I had to add these pictures. As you can see, the blooms are back. Granted, some we actually had to replace to get them back but I love that fact that we have flowers in June. Just like everywhere else I have lived.
This is for you Anita... remember India?



Purple has always been my favorite color too....



Such a beautiful bloom on such a mean looking plant. Jace and Jaron call this the jumping cactus. They call it that because if you brush by it at all, it will leave a whole branch stuck to your clothes. We placed the cactus by the side of the front yard, just were the elementary school kids pick up the school bus! Great planning. hee hee :) The blooms are only open during the day, they actually close at night!



It is hard to tell but these blooms are about the size of my hand, on a cactus that is at least 6' 5" tall. And they are only open at night. Part of the reason it took me so long to place this blog! I had to keep trying to get this early in the morning. Finally got it today at 6:00 a.m. (in my pajamas - sorry neighbors.)




I love these little spikes... And the color is amazing







Up close look at the bloom in the 6' 5" cactus. It really is amazing.







The kids are out of school and I think their "vacation" from summer work keeps extending. And Jaron is celebrating right now that Mom is a pushover - or marshmellow as he calls me. Jay is in Toronto for a Rail conference. I know it isn't good for the boys, for me to be so lienient. I just can't seem to stick to the rules when Jay isn't around. Poor boys! I guess they will just have to learn from my mistakes.

No comments: