Monday, February 26, 2007

Have you ever heard of a Diorama?

Jaron has an assignment in school to create a Diorama... I have never even heard of a diorama so I had to look it up on the internet... The definition: A diorama is a mini-world, an entire landscape in a box or glass case. Jaron has to make one for school, on of all things the Manhattan Project! It couldn't be something easy like the ocean, or dinosaurs, or even a volcano. It has to be about the making of the atomic bomb. How did we luck into this one?

During dinner yesterday, Jaron laid out a drawing on paper of what he wanted in his landscape. His drawing was hard to make out but his ideas were very good. So after dinner we got out a box (must be 11 X 20 of course) and started working on it. We tried to carve the bombs out of Styrofoam but they were so small that the Styrofoam kept breaking when we were almost done. So we got out the paper mache. I forgot how much I liked working with paper mache. We made the paste, and then couldn't find any newspaper. We haven't had newspaper for years at our house, we don't like the newsprint all over the house. We traveled up and down the block looking for a neighbor who took a paper... We never did find any.

We decided to use discarded printer paper. Jaron and I got started, but the first time Jaron stuck his fingers in the paste, he said " Ehhhhh" and wouldn't touch it again. Jace came over to see what all the noise was about and ended up helping me make the 4 bombs Jaron needed... They look kind of cute if I don't say so myself. Now they are in the windows sill to dry.

I broke it to Jaron this morning that he has to paper mache again tonight to make his landscape. He wasn't at all excited about it but it is his project after all. I will get him to the painting stage and he will think it is much more fun.

No comments: