Friday, January 05, 2007

Hot, Cold, Happy, Sad


Utah is home, it will always be home to me. But I forgot how cold it can get in the winter. The boys and I just traveled to Utah for the New Year. Since the boys were out of school until the 8th of January, we decided to spend a week in Utah visiting family and friends. Jay was going to go with us but he changed his mind, so we left him home.

We got to Utah on Thursday of last week, after traveling through two snow storms. One was in Flagstaff Arizona and we were literally stopped on the freeway for 1 hour waiting for the roads to be cleared. The other was between Beaver and Fillmore Utah. The storm there was pretty much over but the roads weren't clear yet. I was so glad we were in Jace's new little car. Front wheel drive and all our weight really helped get through the drifts. The wind was blowing and the snow was swirling..... It was awful. (Oh, I didn't mention that we replaced Jace's car the very day we left, more on that later....)

We visited with my family most of the first three days were were there. Jaron visited his best friends in Utah and I visited mine. Jace went snowboarding with his cousins. We also had our dentist visits, and did a lot of getting Jace ready for college in Utah next year.

It was an interesting trip for me for two reasons:

First, it was colder than I remember. I never liked the cold. The first day the snow was kind of fun. It was crunchy, and lite at the same time. Jaron made great snowballs and I remembered how to drive in it without any problem. But after a few days the wind and snow made me cold. By the last three days I couldn't seem to get warm. I was always bundled up but my feet were always cold. I hate cold feet! Jaron's lips are all cracked from the cold. The crisp air makes the mountain beautiful at dusk and dawn but the salt and gravel in the snow makes for a very ugly slushy, dirty snow on the roads. It is funny that I had forgot about that.

Second, Jace and I spent most of our time getting him ready for school in Utah next year. We did a few things like getting his car inspected to see what we had to do to have him register it in Utah. We got him a checking account, all the fun things you do as an adult. We also spent a lot of time talking. He has grown up so fast but he is such a great kid. He is so smart, and understands so much about what he wants out of life. But I miss my little boy that followed me around and loved to play. I am happy for him to be progressing in life so well, but I am sad that we are already at this point in life. Where does the time go.....

Overall it was a great trip but I am glad to be home. I think this is the first time that we have traveled to Utah in the winter. I think it will officially be the last!!!! Of course, that could be lie. Next year I will have a son there to visit.

No comments: